Saturday 28 January 2017

Narrative Notes ... from 2012

Recently when tidying up my resources, I came across some notes I made at some narrative training at the Dulwich Centre a couple of years ago. I believe that I intended to print these out and keep them close by in practice. I'd like to share some of my notes:
  • Active listening is not enough: move people to places of change and be accountable.
  • Discover what is not known and familiar.
  • The ideas of "norms" can be diminishing: who established them anyway?
  • Consider the politics of people's lives: culture, gender, class... away from the individual.
  • A good story is about a number of events strung together over time.
  • Research different stories other than the dominant story.
  • Look at "the problem" rather than be defined by /as "the problem."
  • Relationships are multi-storied.
  • When people come to us "in consultation," they come with or are accompanied by problem-saturated stories.
  • Be a supportive audience rather than empathic.
  • Empathic responses come from "the expert."
  • Be invitational rather than interpretive.
  • Be curious & inquisitive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages